Originally posted September 13, 2018
Here is an excerpt:
Creating Values-Aligned AI
“The project of creating value-aligned AI is perhaps one of the most important things we will ever do,” said the Future of Life Institute. It’s not just about useful intelligence but “the ends to which intelligence is aimed and the social/political context, rules, and policies in and through which this all happens.”
The Institute created a visual map of interdisciplinary issues to be addressed:
- Validation: ensuring that the right system specification is provided for the core of the agent given stakeholders' goals for the system.
- Security: applying cyber security paradigms and techniques to AI-specific challenges.
- Control: structural methods for operators to maintain control over advanced agents.
- Foundations: foundational mathematical or philosophical problems that have bearing on multiple facets of safety
- Verification: techniques that help prove a system was implemented correctly given a formal specification
- Ethics: effort to understand what we ought to do and what counts as moral or good.
- Governance: the norms and values held by society, which are structured through various formal and informal processes of decision-making to ensure accountability, stability, broad participation, and the rule of law.