Originally posted September 22, 2018
- With emerging technologies like machine learning, developers can now achieve much more than ever before. But this new power has a down side.
- When we talk about ethics - the principles that govern a person's behaviour - it is impossible to not talk about psychology.
- Processes like obedience, conformity, moral disengagement, cognitive dissonance and moral amnesia all reveal why, though we see ourselves as inherently good, in certain circumstances we are likely to behave badly.
- Recognising that although people aren’t rational, they are to a large degree predictable, has profound implications on how tech and business leaders can approach making their organisations more ethical.
- The strongest way to make a company more ethical is to start with the individual. Companies become ethical one person at a time, one decision at a time. We all want to be seen as good people, known as our moral identity, which comes with the responsibility to have to act like it.