Here is an excerpt from their resource page:
A competent practitioner working online will always adhere at least the following minimum standards and practices in order to be considered to be working in an ethical manner.
Practitioners have a sufficient understanding of technology.
Technology basics are required for practitioners who choose to deliver therapeutic services via technology. Practitioners will possess a basic understanding of technology as the technology relates to delivery of services
- Encryption: Practitioners understand how to access encrypted services to store records and deliver communication. Records storage can be hosted on a secure server with a third-party, stored on the practitioner’s hard drive utilizing encrypted folders or stored on an external drive that is safely stored.
- Backup Systems: Records and data that are stored on the practitioner’s hard drive are backed up either to an external drive or remotely via the Internet.
- Password Protection: Practitioners take further steps to ensure confidentiality of therapeutic communication and other materials by password protecting the computer, drives and stored files or communication websites.
- Firewalls: Practitioners utilize firewall protection externally or through web-based programs.
- Virus Protection: Practitioners protect work computers from viruses that can be received from or transmitted to others, including clients.
- Hardware: Practitioners understand the basic running platform of the work computer and know whether or not a client’s hardware/platform is compatible with any communication programs the practitioner uses.
- Software: Practitioners know how to download and operate software and assist clients with the same when necessary to the delivery of services.
- Third-party services: Practitioners utilize third-party services that offer an address and phone number so that contact is possible via means other than email. This offers a modicum of trust in the third-party utilized for such services as backup, storage, virus protection and communication.